Protection of Personal and Property Rights

It can be a difficult time for a family when a loved one or someone close to you can no longer make decisions relating to their personal affairs. It is a sad reality of life that at some stage you may need to make decisions regarding the welfare and property matters of friends or family who can no longer make those decisions themselves - whether through age, illness or accident.

When an adult no longer has the capacity to make these decisions, it is important that someone is appointed to represent that person at the right time. The Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act 1988 enables people to apply to the Family Court to be appointed as a welfare guardian and/or a property manager so that decisions can be made in the best interests of the subject person.

We encourage our clients who still have the capacity to make decisions regarding their affairs to have in place an enduring power of attorney so that applications to the Family Court are not necessary should they lose the ability to make the decision themselves. An enduring power of attorney gives you the assurance that if something does go wrong, your affairs will be looked after by someone you trust.

Your key contacts


Need Assistance?


Auckland Office: +64 9 379 9350

Wellington Office: +64 4 499 9824


Contact us today